Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon followed and the Township was prepared in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers emerged for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was designed in 1890. As the township grew, so performed the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the families after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and canine care. Soon after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the conflict ended people were able to get their lives again on track, at least for a check here while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. With the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to remain together more than ever. Through a federal government give, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World War 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph got a society of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, along with a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its drinking water supply, and goes on to do so.